At Show Low High School, we believe that participation in athletics activities widens the educational experience and makes school more enjoyable. In addition to strengthening physical skills, students learn valuable life skills including how to work on a team, ideals of fairness and sportsmanship, self- discipline and responsibility, and respect for authority and teammates.
In accordance with AIA and SLHS extra-curricular regulations, a student must be passing all classes in which he/she is enrolled in order to perform/compete in any AIA sanctioned event/game. Passing is considered a grade of an A, B, C, or D. The SLHS athletics director will run an eligibility report on a weekly basis and will officially send the ineligibility list out to all coaches and teachers by 9:00 a.m. each Monday (or the day after if there is no school on Monday). After raising all failing grades to a passing mark, the student must obtain a pink clearance form from the front office and have it signed by the teacher and then an administrator. The student will then take each pink clearance form to their coach and will become immediately eligible to participate again.
- Eligibility will not be enacted for the first three full weeks of every new semester. Courses will not have enough graded material at the start of each semester to give an accurate account of grades, so it is fair and necessary to allow students this flex period.
- A student who receives a failing mark in any class at the end of a semester will be ineligible to participate in the following activities as listed:
- The first game of the following semester (excluding games during winter break) in all AIA power-ranking athletics events (cheerleaders are included in this category).
- The first three weeks of all other extra-curricular events and activities such as band, choir, fishing club, etc.
- If the teacher makes an official grade change through the counseling office the student will no longer be ineligible under this rule.
- If the student recovers the failed credit(s) and receives signed approval from the counseling office and an administrator they will no longer be ineligible under this rule.
- For the fall of 2017, students in this category will be held to the 2016-2017 rule as follows: they will be ineligible until the first eligibility posting (approximately three weeks) to start the new semester.
- Transfer students enrolling at SLHS and wishing to participate in extra-curricular activities will be held accountable to all eligibility rules based on the grades they transfer in with (whether they enroll during the school year or at the end of a grading period).
- If a student drops a class after the drop deadline without administrator approval and receives an ‘F’ on their transcript, he/she will be ineligible for the remainder of that semester and will follow the ineligibility rules following a semester ‘F’ as well.
- An ineligible student may practice but they may not participate in games or travel with the team.
- Policies pulled from SLUSD policy manual: J 4561 (JJJ-RA).